Friday, April 9, 2010

I LOVE this book ……

April 2010 053 I spotted this book when I went to the Craft Expo a couple of weeks ago. They had a quilt on display and it was stunning, so of course I had to have a go – I simply couldn’t resist :o).

I love the way this lady takes a basic ‘foundation block’ and turns it into something much more intricate by “applique’ing” more pieces onto it – you can see the step by step on the front cover of the book above. It’s ingenious!!!! It’s a really lovely sort of layered effect and so much easier to make your points and seams match perfectly. I like anything that makes that part easier ;o)!!!! This block started out as a pinwheel block and the darker triangles were applique'd on .....April 2010 056This one also started as a pinwheel block and the pink parts are applique'd on. I’m using a “Fig and Plum” layer cake for my blocks ….April 2010 058 Just love the colours … this is my progress so far …April 2010 054 I think I’ve got a fair way to go before I’ve got enough for my quilt ;o).

I’ve been pulling some yardage out of my stash for the “in-between” blocks and I’m ok with the two on the right but still wondering about the other one …. April 2010 061I like the cream spot, and I like the large floral for the border, but even though there’s a peachy colour in the pieced blocks I’m wondering whether I might prefer a pinky shade instead of the one on the left for the darker squares in those “in-between” blocks – waddyathink???

I’ve really enjoyed making these blocks … it’s great to find a new technique to try. Have you tried anything new lately???

12 comments:

Daisy said...

Preciosos todos los bloques. felicitaciones.

Dawn said...

Joy your amazing... they look so nice with Fig and Plum and so interesting to do...Love the quilt on the front...happy sewing..
Hugs Dawn x x

Thimbleanna said...

That looks like a fabulous book Joy! I love all those triangles!

Terry said...

What a great way to make a simple block look more complex! Love the ones you've done so far! :0)

Allie said...

That looks like a very interesting book, Joy! I love the look of your blocks. I'm all for easier too.
I do think something more pink would work better...go with your gut!

Teresa said...

This is such a brilliant idea. I love what you've done Joy. They look fantastic. Has to be more precise than some of my pinwheel blocks I'm doing at the moment. xx

Bec said...

Now that book does look interesting! Love your blocks so far. I agree with you, not sure about that fabric. Do you have any other alternatives???
Hope your mum and dhD are on the mend and that you were able to have a rest over easter.

ChitterChatterDesigns said...

Joy your blocks look beautiful! I too have a book by this author and absolutely love it! I hope to make some time to do what you're doing! I am looking forward to seeing your version. Best wishes, -Cori

Sue said...

Absolutely beautiful. I can see why you are inspired. I'll look out for the book when I go down to the big smoke for Perth's quilt show next month.

wonderwoman said...

your quilt is absolutely gorgeous and that book looks very interesting - i think i could get easily sidetracked in there!

xx

Unknown said...

Lovely Blocks..Glad to hear DH is on the mend.
cheers

Micki said...

The book look so good and your blocks so far are wonderfuL!
Micki